The University of Strasbourg holds the Welcome to France label

Do I Need a Visa?

You would like to study in France or train as part of your university course or as part of an exchange or cooperation program?
Depending on your country of origin and the length of your stay in France, you might need a visa.


 Before My Arrival

Student Visa

For a stay not exceeding three months

Short-stay student visa (short stay for studies or examination)

For a stay between 4 months to a year

Long-stay student visa 

  • VLS-TS: Long-stay visa valid as a residence permit for students (visa long séjour valant titre de séjour) 
  • VLS-T: Temporary long term visa (visa long séjour temporaire)

Researcher Visa

You come from the European Economic Area (EEA) or are a Swiss citizen

You do not need a visa to stay or work in France. Valid proof of identity is sufficient. This means that you can come and carry out a research activity on a grant or contract basis, without having to take any particular step in terms of your right to stay or work.    

You are a national of a third-party country

Depending on the duration and reason for your stay in France, you may need to apply for a visa from the French consulate in your usual place of residence.


To get a French visa, you must have a minimum of resources.
Find out how much from the French Embassy.